bravenewlunch@gmail.com

Monday, February 21, 2011

Homemade mac n’ cheese for 500

My kitchen is serving homemade macaroni and cheese for the whole school this Thursday.  I thought it would be informative to share the process by which a menu item is transformed from thaw and serve to homemade.  
Previously, we used a frozen, full-fat version and cut it with extra whole grain pasta.  This Thursday, we will make our own sauce and mix it with 50 pounds of Barilla Plus elbow macaroni.  To get a head start, we'll boil the pasta the day before so that we have stove space to make the sauce come Thursday morning. 

I based my recipe off of one from the Massachusetts Farm to School Project cookbook because it's a lower-fat bulk recipe.  I also heard of using cauliflower puree as a way of adding body to the sauce while sneaking in a vegetable.  I ordered a case of twelve heads of cauliflower just for this purpose. 

I tested a mini recipe a few weeks ago at home.  My husband, a mac and cheese connoisseur, approved of the lower-fat, whole grain version.  The pictures on this post are from my home batch. 

Will students approve of the new homemade macaroni and cheese?  Stay tuned for a post about Thursday's meal!    
  


  

5 comments:

  1. How creative! Can't wait to hear what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos look great, Ali. I look forward to hearing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its difficult to make cheese at home.But the way you cooked it seems to be an easy job.Gonna try it soon and let you know the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can communicate to your crush... that will trigger deep feelings of love and instinctual appeal to you buried within his heart?

    That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, please and guard you with all his heart...

    ====> 12 Words That Trigger A Man's Love Impulse

    This impulse is so hardwired into a man's genetics that it will drive him to try harder than before to do his best at looking after your relationship.

    As a matter of fact, fueling this powerful impulse is absolutely binding to having the best ever relationship with your man that once you send your man a "Secret Signal"...

    ...You'll soon notice him expose his soul and heart to you in a way he never expressed before and he'll recognize you as the one and only woman in the universe who has ever truly fascinated him.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete